Netflix Error Code N8156-6013

My wife came across this mysterious “Netflix Error Code N8156-6013” today and let me tell you – she was not happy. Netflix player keep complaining about DRM and date (which was correct). It took me a good 20 minutes to find a solution. Credit goes to Chad (read his post here). I’m reposting to give the solution more exposure.

The fix after much research is to delete a Playready config file mspr.hds (leftover from the Silverlight 3 version) and allow the Netflix player to re-create the file using Silverlight 4.
The file to delete or rename (probably safer; in case something goes wrong just rename it back correctly)

On Windows XP:
C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftPlayReadymspr.hds
or

C:ProgramDataMicrosoftPlayReadymspr.hds

On Windows 7:
C:UsersAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftPlayReadymspr.hds
or

C:ProgramDataMicrosoftPlayReady (Thanks Jarin)

On MAC:
HD > Library > Application Support > Microsoft > PlayReady > mspr.hds

Don’t forget to restart your browsers!

Hopefully this post will save you time. Once again, credit goes to Chad.

First Silverlight 3 app

Despite my earlier blog post, I decided to take part in the “sexiest” mortgage calculator contest after all. It seemed like a perfect excuse to give Silverlight 3 a try. The end result may not be the sexiest (I’m a developer, not a designer), but I think it’s fairly functional. Actually, I wish I had a tool like that when I was shopping for mortgages. I had a lot of fun writing this app, and I learned a lot.

Mortgage Calculator Check it out!

EDIT: Nice – I just stumbled upon a website of Rene de Paula jr that mentions my calculator (translation from Portuguese). News travel fast on the internets =)

Update: The results are in and while I did not win, I had a lot of fun learning Silverlight 3. Here are the submissions that won. Pretty cool, I must admit. They all tend to use standard JavaScript, Google Charts and Flash. I may revise my calculator and use some of their ideas.

Congrats to the winners!